Monday, August 13, 2007

A Gay King Richard III

Mads, my Norwegian companion, has a summer home in Provincetown. Now, as you know, I am a very open minded fellow, so I have no problem whatsoever taking a load off in a homo-centric city. In fact, I rather enjoy it.

So Mads and I hit a play the first night we were in town. It was based on Shakespeare's Richard III. It was really cool, because instead of being a hunchback, ol' Dick was gay, and the rest of the players thought he was evil for it. The person who adapted the play thought Richard III, though most probably a propaganda play for the Tudors, was also a statement by Shakespeare about British society and it's feelings towards homosexuals. Way ahead of his time.

"I didn't dig it," Mads said.

"What're you talking about?"

"Well, I know Billy was probably gay in real life, but I can't see him feeling persecuted for his sexuality. He had the run of the town. He was doing it with a prominent Earl. Everyone knew he was boning dudes, they just didn't say anything. He had it better than if he was a contestant on Project Runway."

"Hey, take that back."

"Sorry, got a bit carried away there."

"All right, but just watch it."

A man rushed up and handed us a bag.

"You can never be too careful."

It had some condoms, lubricant, and instructions.

"Let's go get some ice cream up the road," I said. "I've had an awful craving for black raspberry since the third act."

No comments: