Friday, March 28, 2008

The Juice

With OJ Simpson back in the news after he allegedly robbed some memorabilia salesman at gun point of memorabilia they stole from him, I thought it would be interesting to discuss my one meeting with the man.

It was back in 1987. OJ was filming another Hertz commercial where he runs through the airport, well before he became the OJ we've all grown to know and love. I was an extra in the ad. After shooting, I was allowed five minutes with him. None of us had any idea that a short seven years later OJ would be OJ.

The most vivid memory I have of meeting Mr. Simpson was his eyes when he looked at me after autographing a picture of him. It was like he was okay with meeting me for a few seconds, but if I pushed it, there would be repercussions. Listening to the audio of the robbery (only sports memorabilia salesmen would record their own armed robbery), one tidbit stood out. After he yelled "You think you can steal my shit?" the other guy replies "Mike took it." Thinking back to myself as a 17-year old boy and witnessing those OJ eyes, all I can say too is "Mike took it". Mike took it.

No comments: