Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Poetry Slam

After my lack luster poetry performance, which of course I did after my really great performance, I finally decided to get back in there. Gwen entered me into an improvisational poetry contest, where everyone entered had to out poetry everyone else in a one-on-one winner stays loser goes home format.

I'll spare you the gory details. Many of these kids were in over their heads. It took little wit to beat them. In the finals, I won with this:

Bobby McFerin

Oh Bobby, why
why did you leave us, why
Don't worry, be happy,
I thought it was a commitment.
Not a cheap slogan to a catchy pop tune.
Oh Bobby, why
why did you grow dreadlocks, why
and become a classical conductor
When we needed a follow up hit
you abandoned us,
left us with Chumbawumba and
The Macarena
Oh Bobby, why
Why is your video the only one
with Broadway legend slash
guy who may not even exist
Bill Irwin in it
Oh God Bobby,
I'm too worried to be happy now.

Not bad, eh?

No comments: