Sunday, April 13, 2008

Mads' iPod

I never bought an iPod. Why would I need one? I don't need cool credibility. I just got a plain old MP3 player which was much cheaper. It does the job. Mads, my Norwegian companion, seemed to be on the same page as me. That was until I saw him at the apartment when I came home the other day bobbing his head to some music coming from a pair of little white headphones.

"You got an iPod?"

He pulled the earpieces out.

"Dude, you got an iPod?"

"I heard you when you said it the first time. Yeah, I kinda had to."

Oh shit, I thought, here it comes.

"Have you ever heard Jason Mraz's cover of Seals and Crofts' 'Summer Breeze'?"

"No. Matty's told me about it."

"Yeah, I was there for that conversation too. He was right!"

This couldn't be. About a month ago Matty the Mainer, my personal biographer, mentioned that Jason Mraz covered "Summer Breeze". He said it sounded ridiculous, with Mraz over-jazzing it up and whatnot. But after the first listen to, he said he craved it. He needed to hear it over and over again, despite how ridiculous it sounded. I was nonplussed.

"Why did you buy an iPod, though? You could've played the song on a loop on anything."

"It just seemed to be more symbolic, you know?"

"I don't know. Give me the damn headphones."

"Okay, but I've warned you."

...summah breeze, a-really make-a me feel fine, blowin' true de jasmine in my miiiind... aaaah summah breeze, a-really make me fiiiine... blowing tru my... makes me feel, riiight... makin' me feel makin' me feel fiiiiiine...

That was pretty damn ridiculous. I had no intention hearing anymore, and went into the kitchen to start some chicken tetrazzini with our left over roast, when it hit me. The song was coursing through my very existence. Like a person running to the bathroom after he's just felt his stomach drop and he knows what's coming next, I bolted back into the living room and took Mads' iPod from him.

No comments: