Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Those Damn Sox

As a young boy some of my first memories of life on the planet were of the Red Sox in 1975 losing the World Series to the Reds. Three years later, the Sox would break my heart even more by losing the division after a huge 14 game lead to Bucky Dent and the Yankees. If it hadn't been for the Celtics, Boston as a sports city would've sucked.

Well now it's the Celtics who suck (though suddenly not anymore-- thanks Kevin McHale), and the Red Sox do weird shit like not losing divisions to the Yankees after 14 game leads and actually beat teams like the Indians after I'd written them off when they were down 3-1. Of course, this wasn't any of the Sox's doing. They would've lost against the Indians if Matty, my personal biographer, hadn't stopped watching and written them off for dead. Once he did that, their fortunes changed.

While Mads, my Norwegian companion, and I were watching The Hills that night, we reflected on the game.

"Until the Sox beat the Rockies, there's nothing yet to differentiate this season from '86."

He made a great point. They still had some work to do. I got on the horn to Matty.

"So, you know how when you stopped watching the Sox they started winning."

"I keep telling you they actually lost game four and I'd stopped after game three. Your superstition doesn't hold. Not only that, but I watched game seven."

I felt betrayed. His little stunt could've cost the Sox an 11th trip to the Big Show.

"I better not find out you've watched game one on Wednesday if they end up losing."

"Beckett's pitching... even I can't jinx that."

"Whatever, just don't watch it."

"I'll get right on that."


So they won number seven, and now they start this season with a good look at number eight. Maybe Matty will help us out down the stretch.

No comments: