Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bill Walton

30 years ago today, Bill Walton led the Portland Trailblazers to their only NBA championship. As a seven-year old, I watched the game on tape delay.

One thing I'll always remember is Mads' impersonation of Walton. It was so perfect, it never got old. I once got a copy of the games from that series, and I hired Bob Costas to do play-by-play while Mads did his Walton at a party I threw. It was pure genius.

"Bill Walton is the greatest center in the game of basketball today," he said after Walton hit a jumper. "He might be the best center since Marc Blount."

I wondered what Mads was doing at that moment. I missed him. I picked up my phone, went to dial, then stopped and hung it up. Maybe it was for the best. There was a knock at the door. I was excited. Could it be him?

No, it was just Bill Walton.

"What are you doing this afternoon?" He said.

"You wanna go catch that new Pirates movie?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

No comments: