Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mads: Love and a Fireblanket

"Can I help you fellas?" I said.

"You could start by telling us who the dead man is on your floor." Juglass said. The Ant Man mumbled something inaudible to him. "I know that's the guy we just played tennis against. I just wanted to see if he knew. What do you mean that doesn't make any sense?"

I sighed.

"Listen, Mads, we're not tennis players." Ant Man hit him on the arm. "Okay, we are tennis players... but we're also police detectives, and we came down here to Rio to follow a white slavery ring. Your buddy Hermon was working for us as a police informant. We were about to blow the case wide open before that stuff happened a few minutes ago."

The Ant Man mumbled some more to him. They started arguing.

"I got an idea guys."

"Okay, we're listening."

"Do you want to take a seat?"

"Yeah, sure, give me a second."

Juglass pulled out a purple inflatable couch, and blew into it. He and the Ant Man sat on it in front of me.

"Here's what I got," I said. "What if I agree to meet the guys that left this note tomorrow morning?"

"What if we just go down to Foxwoods and live off cold Dominoes pizza for a few days." The Ant Man hit him on the arm again. I assumed if I could make out the Ant Man's mumbles that he'd have been saying "would you stop!"

We had a party that night to kill time before the big meeting the next day. Juglass hit it off really well with this nice Brazilian chick, while the Ant Man and I played Gin. Juglass took her into another room of my suite, then emerged a few minutes later.

"Hey, Mads, do you have... like... a fireblanket?" The Ant Man shot him a death stare. I looked at him and then at Juglass and shrugged my shoulders. He went back with his woman and shut the door.

"You know," I said. "You two make a great team."

He shook his head at me, and we had a good laugh. There was a knock at the door. The Ant Man drew his gun, and I hid behind a potted plant. It was Juglass's dad. He was in the next suite over, and thought we might want some of his peach cobbler.

No comments: