Monday, July 30, 2007

Mads: Ripped Abs

I was sitting at an outdoor cafe, smoking a cigarette, reading Baldwin's Nobody Knows My Name, killing time before a dinner date with my Boston friend. Roxy Music's "More Than This" played overhead. I saw a teal Mercedes drive by. At least I thought it was teal.

More than this...

A man approached me from the other side of the waist high metal bars that kept me from the sidewalk.

"Wanna try Axe Body Spray's new scent, Ripped Abs?"

I exhaled a couple smoke rings. I saw a man at another table, as if from a bygone era, in a suit with shoulder pads, his hair slicked back in a pony tail, talking into a huge Zack Morris cellphone. I pointed him out to the whisper thin fella offering me the Ripped Abs.

"Want me to stick the antenna to that guy's phone up your ass?"

No comments: