Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mads: Father Son Bonding

Despite Dr. Phil's protests, the kid called my bluff, and agreed to change his name. I decided to call him D'Brickishaw. Undaunted, he wanted to spend the day with me, so I chartered a flight to Vegas.

At one of the strip clubs we went to, I got us an invite to a private room. D'Brickshaw told me later that I went in totally the wrong direction from where we were supposed to go, and somehow we ended up stairs somewhere. We entered a random room.

There was an old guy in a tweed suit spanking a thirtysomething guy in a school boy's outfit. The "boy" was leaning over a table, yelling at the old man to hit him harder. I looked around the room and saw a copy of Faulkner's The Unvanquished. I snatched it before we left.

"Why did you take that book?" D'Brickishaw said.

"Because I've never read it. Have you read it?"

"No."

"I've heard by some that it's up there with As I Lay Dying and Sound and the Fury. We'll see. Do you like Faulkner too?"

"I don't even know who he is."

I put my arm around him.

"My dear, D'Brickishaw, I have so much to teach you."

No comments: