Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Greatest Show Ever

I met my friend Trajan, the writer, out for lunch the other day, and I couldn't wait to tell him the news:

"I just saw the greatest show ever."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, it was a talk show with Tony Danza as the host."

"The Tony Danza Show?"

"Must've been. It was amazing. He had the dad from Malcolm in the Middle and Debbie Gibson performed 'Lost in Your Eyes', one of my all time faves."

"You mean Deborah."

"What?"

"Deborah Gibson. She goes by Deborah now."

"Oh, like Rick Schroeder. Well anyway, again, it was amazing. There was no pretense, just Danza being Danza, and who doesn't like Tony Danza?"

"Apparently a lot of people, because the show's been canceled."

"No it hasn't, I just watched it."

"Those are reruns they're playing until the fall season starts. He's done baby."

"Wow, that's crazy."

I shook my head and took a sip off my Bloody Mary. It's a sad day in the country I love when a national icon can't garner enough ratings to keep a daytime talk show on the air. I lifted my glass. Here's to you Tony Danza, you're one of the good ones.

No comments: