Monday, April 30, 2007

Woman Bowler

I met a girl at the book store the other day. I was looking for John Cheever's The Wapshot Chronicle (I know, can you believe I haven't read that!), and she was looking for something to read on her long plane ride.

"Oh, where are you going?"

"Las Vegas. I have a bowling tournament. I'm a professional, you know?"

"Really? How does that pay?"

"Not well. I also work as a teller at the Citizens over on Beacon."

"That must be an advantage, though, because you probably don't have as much trouble cashing those big checks."

She thought that was funny. We made a date for when she got back. It didn't work out well, though. We went bowling, and she was kind of annoyed that I purposefully played badly to try and score a 69. To me a 69 when bowling is a mark more hallowed than a 300. I guess I could understand. If she didn't take my work seriously, whatever that is, I might be a little put out too. On the other hand, her "sport" is something that people get better at the more drunk they become. How can anyone take that seriously?

No comments: