Sunday, April 22, 2007

Mads: Save Our Frat

I had nothing better to do one afternoon, so I thought I might attend one of my courses. My TA seemed very surprised to see me. So did the students. My lecture consisted of the story of my friend from Boston and me being stranded on an uninhabited island in the South Pacific, and how a special species of bird's appearance on the island with us told me that an inhabited island was not too far away, and my friend and I built a raft and made it in time for a huge pig roasting ceremony. The class loved it. Afterwards one of the students approached me:

"Um, hi, Professor Olafssen?"

"Please, call me Mads. What can I do for you son?"

"I'm a member of the fraternity Pi Episilon Omicron Sigma, and we're in danger of losing our charter. We thought maybe a faculty member with your stature would help in keeping us on campus."

"Do you guys party?"

"Um... I guess..."

"Not good enough. I need a 7 day a week party guarantee."

"Sir?"

"Let me take a look at your place."

He took me over there, and the place had potential. Two-stories; three bathrooms, two of which were meant for multiple occupants; dance floor in the basement. This would work.

"Here's the deal guys, your place is not suited for living in. I need you to take the guys to a motel in town. I'll cover the expense, but this place needs to be renovated."

"Sir?"

"Come on now, this place should be condemned. Do you want my help or not?"

"No, no. We'll do it. Who's gonna renovate it?"

"Don't you worry."

I called my friend Ukranian Hank and he got together a group of investors. It took us two solid weeks of three shifts of work to fix the place up, but it turned out well. Within a week of opening, my new club, Oslo Nights, was the most popular spot in Norman. The boys tried to sue to get their house back, but the contract their president signed was pretty explicit. Maybe he should've read it. Besides, we did make an addition of dorm style housing at the back of the house for them if they wanted to move back in.

No comments: