Monday, April 30, 2007

The Lord of the Rings

I was hanging out with Gwen, the Cappie, and some of her friends at a cafe the other day. They were playing some game where they each got to be comic book characters and rolled dice to see what they did. I actually considered playing, but they said I couldn't be Batman... I guess he's not from the same company as Captain America and Spiderman.

I took a seat near them and read my book, The Wapshot Chronicle by John Cheever. From time to time, I would look to see who the patrons were at the cafe's front counter. That's when I saw him: the Lord of the Rings.

Yes, you guessed it, Bill Russell, the greatest basketball player ever. Eleven championships. He single handedly made Boston sports matter. I was in awe, but I had to talk to him.

"Bill Russell, I'm sorry to bother you, but it's not everyday one sees the greatest basketball player ever in a Boston cafe."

"I thank you for that..." He looked me over "Hey, aren't you that guy that hangs out with Mads?"

"Um... yeah, why?"

"Man, I love that dude. Where's he been? I haven't seen him around in a while."

"I don't know..."

No comments: