Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Mads: Big Trouble in Little Rio

It's all over but the crying. I'm an expert tennis player. I have to be, being I'm an affluent European. Abdul Karim's a great player too, being an affluent Iranian, which makes him only slightly less than an affluent European. So I took a bet. A bad bet.

A man in town named Hermon (her-MON), who has a lot of cash and likes to gamble, wagered me that Abdul Karim and I couldn't beat his team of tennis players. I figured he had to have ringers.

No. Instead it was Juglass and some half man/half ant creature known only as the Ant Man. I watched them play for a bit, and they seemed beatable. I took Hermon up on his challenge.

We lost, but barely. Ant Man would occasionally not return our serves. Juglass would sometimes swing at the ball and miss. But at the same time, when they needed points, they seemed to get them. Ant Man would use his ant-like reflexes, and Juglass would be impossible to beat at the net. They served for the match, and won, three games to two.

After the game, we barely made it out of the tennis courts alive. Apparently I'm not the only one who's been wagering with Hermon. A pack of wild ninjas stormed the court, looking for some kind of payment. Ant Man used his superhuman strength and Juglass used his amazing Frisbee prowess to protect Hermon, while we scaled the fence and made a run for it. When we got home, I found out the bad news: Abdul Karim took a stray throwing star to the back. There was a note attached: "Let's make a deal 555-4179!"

"Damn."

No comments: