Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mads: The Insight.com Bowl of Curried Dish Cook-offs

I thought I was going to enjoy a nice New Year's Eve down here in Rio with my homeboy Abdul Karim. I was wrong, though, dead kinda wrong.

Svenska, my evil Swedish nemesis, showed up in town over the weekend, and she had another challenge for me. She knew that I made the best curry dishes this side of Tanzania. She also knew the pride with which I held that honor, being the only Northern Eurpoean ever to be that highly acclaimed. She attempted to attack that pride through the person of Kowloon Bali Hai. A man raised in the mountains of Lhasa, Kowloon Bali Hai's curry dishes were considered some of the best in the past century and a quarter, drawing comparisons by some to the famous Anduhar Singh (1822-1903). I'd felt the energy he was putting out, but I tried my best to ignore it. It was just my luck that he would join forces with that Devil Woman, Svenska.

The reality was that Kowloon Bali Hai and I should not have been adversaries, but instead colleagues, collaborating on dishes and making the world a better place. I'm in this for the kids, you know?

One distinct advantage I had over Kowloon Bali Hai was my intricate knowledge of the local food stuffs. I know what's fresh and what isn't, and I know where to get it. That came in handy when I got perfect sea urchin, and made a great urchin and squid curry.

It was so good, in fact, it made Kowloon Bali Hai's lamb curry, which I have to admit was impeccable in its simplicity, seem pedestrian. Svenska was shamed once again, and I was able to celebrate my New Year's holiday in peace...

...Until I cought Abdul Karim in bed with Svenska.

No comments: