Thursday, June 7, 2007

The N-N-N-Nineties Cafe

Boston has a lot of really hot radio: BCN, AAF, Jammin', Kiss. But my favorite is one that's less known. In fact, I don't even know what its call letters are; I just find it somewhere in the middle of the dial. I only listen to one program, but that one block is the best in Boston: "The 90s Cafe". Every night from 11pm to 6am, they play the best music from the decade: not any grunge or gritty alternative, but more mainstream stuff. The show starts every night at 11:02 sharp with "Hey Jealousy" by the Gin Blossoms. Other bands include the Goo Goo Dolls, Matchbox 20, Del Amitri, and Go West.

The only reason why I know it's called The 90s Cafe is that a voice will pop in every few songs and tell me. Sometimes it's preceded by a whoosh. The voice is kind of deep. "You're listening to the 90s cafe" or "All your favorite hits on the N-N-N-Nineties Cafe".

The other night, the show didn't start on time. There was some weird song that was going on and on instead. I listened to Jammin', and would switch back every so often to see what was up. Finally at 11:42, I tuned in, and they were in the middle of "Hey Jealousy". I was relieved.

Then a mysterious voice came on. Not the one in the bumpers.

"Hello listeners. I want to apologize for that. My buddy's wife wanted to listen to that song, and she just doesn't get the 90s like we do."

And that was it. What did it all mean?

No comments: