Thursday, June 7, 2007

Pan's Labryrinth's no Beauty and the Beast

Matty the Mainer has been raving about how amazing Pan's Labyrinth is since he saw it a few weeks ago. Of course, me being the foremost expert on Iranian cinema, I saw it at the New York Film Festival in October, and I had been telling him to go see it, but I digress. After we watched the Idol results show on Thursday, he made a remark about the movie that made me pause:

"I think Pan's Labyrinth is the best fantasy movie ever."

"Ever?"

"Better than those Lord of the Rings movies."

"Well of course, that goes without saying. Have you see Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast?"

"I've had it TiVoed on my parents' box for months now. I've just never gotten around to watching it."

That wouldn't do. I had the Criterion Collection version of it on my shelf, and we put it on right then. I just couldn't have him making foolish comments about cinema like that, when I had the means to remedy them.

As expected, Matty was changing his tune. Sure, Pan's Labyrinth is an amazing movie on it's own, but in terms of the overall fantasy genre, Beauty and the Beast is just on a whole other level. It wasn't even close, and he understood.

No comments: