Sunday, June 17, 2007

Andy Messersmith, of course

I was watching the Dodgers/Rockies game the other day, and the Afflack trivia question asked who the last four Dodgers starters to lead the NL in wins before Lowe and Penny were. I knew Oral Herscheiser, Sandy Koufax, and Don Drysdale. I thought the fourth was Fernando Valenzuela (sp?), but it was Andy Messersmith. Of course... Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

I was on a date with a really hot Native American chick named Naomi, and missing the trivia question was still in my mind.

"What does it matter?" She said.

"I know in the grand scheme of life it's not so big a deal, but it's good to have stuff you care about like that, you know?"

"Well, I just think baseball's boring. I mean it's cool when the Sox are doing good, but after that..."

"Boring, huh? Well, I think we're going to have to remedy that."

Cue the montage...

Except the montage music was Disturbed: highly inappropriate. I looked through my iPod. Kenny Loggins, "Meet Me Halfway", Journey stuff, "Take it to the Limit" off the Scarface, soundtrack... too obvious. I settled on Ashley Simpson's "Pieces of Me".

Now cue the montage. I took her to some games, showed her some books, watched Baseball Tonight with her, saved someone's life using my glove, played catch... all in the space of the length of the song.

"Man," she said. "I didn't know baseball could be so good."

"Few do."

"So you think the Sox's problem at the bottom of their lineup will hurt them more than the Yankees' starting pitching woes?"

I looked at the camera and winked. We froze, and the credits rolled.

No comments: