Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Mads: It's Me, Mads

I had a little chat over the phone with Matty the Mainer, pretty much just to touch base about the blog and the state of my MySpace page. I did have to admit, I liked the big Norwegian flag background… it almost brought a tear to my eye, and made me want to do a little seal beating.

He also mentioned that his friend Heather, and her boyfriend Forrest (of Forrest T's inc., where I got my amazing shirt of Christopher Lambert in Day of Wrath slapping some guy while the two are on horse back… but I digress), were headed down to the Rio film fest, where Heather had a screenplay entry in the movie High School of Mirth.

Apparently Heather read the Barnes and Noble Classics version of the Edith Wharton novel The House of Mirth, and in the back, there's a set of questions that I guess a teacher would use to direct a classroom discussion of the novel. One of them asks if the novel would work in a current situation. Heather immediately thought of a modern day high school.

She wrote a screenplay adaptation, and producer Harvey Weinstein agreed, and so the movie was made, and being screened here in Rio. I decided to take Abdul Karim down to see it, and then we introduced ourselves after the film.

"Hello, you must be Forrest and Heather. I'm Mads."

"No you're not," Heather said. "Mads doesn't exist. Did Matty put you up to this?"

Forrest was laughing.

"I'm Mads. The Mads."

"We'll have to tell Matty that we met some guy in Brazil named Mads," she whispered to Forrest.

No comments: