Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Filene's Basement is Closing

Word on the street is that the Filene's Basement in Downtown Crossing will close this summer for two years. That's right, THE Filene's Basement, the one that was opened in 1909, and my all time favorite bargain clothing store.

I have many stories about my times at the Basement, but one in particular is my most memorable. That was the first time I heard Human League's "Don't You Want Me." People were raving about it, and I was trying on a light blue blazer, when my buddy Joey McCarrol pointed it out to me while it was playing overhead. God, I'll never forget that, every time I hear that song.

Another time I met Mitch Gaylord while he was there looking for a tie. Filene's Basement is the cat's pajamas… or rather was, as of this summer, 2007.

No comments: