Tuesday, June 5, 2007

You, Me, and Juglass on DVD

Matty the Mainer, in an attempt to parlay some of his success as my blog writer into a career in entertainment, developed a sitcom with a friend of his called You, Me, and Juglass. The show was picked up by the WB after it finally gave up on Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher, and ran for 13 episodes before it was dumped for Reba Classics. The show was just released on DVD recently, and I felt the need to buy it.

The basic premise was that two guys get a place out in California with their friend Juglass, and hilarity ensues. The problem: only they and their little circle of friends got the jokes. Sure, I couldn't help laughing when the San Antonio AHL hockey team mascot T-Bone came in and started a fight with Juglass, but I mean, come on, mascot humor is pretty lowest common denominator.

Probably the geekiest thing about the show was the use of Michael Dorn as the kooky neighbor. Even though Matty contends that he's not a Trekkie, there were too many inside jokes for me not to have my concerns. When Dorn had an argument with Juglass about whether or not the dolphin from SeaQuest talked (Juglass said it didn't, the box translated, or something), the only thing that kept me from changing over to Barney Miller reruns was our personal friendship.

My advice that he should stick to blog writing went unheeded, however, and Matty and his friend wrote the script for the new movie Alpha Dog... What else is there to say?

No comments: